Cemetery Manager – Wandsworth Cemeteries
Location: Putney Vale Cemetery, SW15 3DZ
Contract Type: Full Time, 40 Hours
Salary: ENSo1 – £30,780 + weekend duty allowance
Closing date: Sunday 4 October 2020
We are looking for a self-motivated, organised and enthusiastic individual to work in our Bereavement services team based at Putney Vale Cemetery and Crematorium.
Reporting to the Head of Bereavement, you will be responsible for the direct management of 1.5 FTE burial administration team and for providing support to both the crematorium and cemetery operational teams. You will be responsible for a range of administrative and operational duties including statutory functions, burials and the management of the cemeteries in the borough.
You will have experience working in a similar environment and supervising a team within the sector. Experience of using computerised administration systems based on Microsoft packages with sound knowledge of database input is essential.
You will be dealing with the bereaved in often stressful circumstances; it is, therefore, essential that you have a high level of empathy and good communication and customer care skills.
You will need to hold a full, clean UK driver licence and own a car insured for business use.
If you do not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date, please presume your application was unsuccessful on this occasion.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- Responsible for the legal and day to day functions of the Cemeteries in liaison with the Head of Service and also in their absence, which includes the:
- Allocation of new graves for burial.
- Reopening of existing graves.
- Administration of all statutory paperwork relating to burials ensuring this is included on the department’s BACAS system and other computer systems.
- Acting as deputy registrar for the crematorium in the absence of the Head of Service
- Exhumation including attendance and advising on licences and faculties.
- Issue of grave deeds and the transfer of burial rights in accordance with burial law.
- Acts as Burials Attendance Officer, accompanying funeral corteges to graveside. Manage and maintain a weekend booking service and attend burials at weekends and Bank Holidays (on a one weekend in three rota basis with time taken as toil).
- In conjunction with the Head of Service, assist with recruitment as required.
- Responsible for ensuring the observance of all relevant statutory burial provisions, cemetery and crematorium regulations and the code of cremation practice.
- Responsible for managing and maintaining grave maintenance records and prepare annual schedules for the preparation and planting of graves and the monitoring of the contractor’s performance.
- In conjunction with the Head of Service, advise on cemetery and cremation legislation and ensure that by-laws are appropriate and adhered to by service users.
- In conjunction with our parks team, monitor the contractor who maintains the cemeteries and provides grave digging services; feedback to the relevant manager.
- Reporting maintenance issues to the relevant department or the client (Wandsworth Council) and keeping logs of defects and monitoring works completed.
- Attend meetings as directed by the Head of Service.
- Responsible for dealing with all customer service enquiries and complaints, dealing with in accordance with Enable’s high levels of customer service.
- Undertake a full range of administration duties, including preparation of correspondence and reports, statistical returns and financial management of the service using database and spreadsheet packages.
- Responsible for the daily maintenance of Burial and Grave Purchase registers and processing grave ownership documentation ensuring accuracy and presentation of details. Manages all registers that are stored electronically, and which are available online to the public.
- In conjunction with the Head of Service, assisting in the organisation of public events including the annual open day and memorial services.
- In conjunction with the Head of Service comply with Health and Safety legislation, to ensure safe working practices of all staff, public and contractors in the workplace, in accordance with the company’s policies and codes, providing reports as necessary.
- Responsible for and includes participation in staff development and undertaking training to meet the requirements of the job.
- Adheres to Enable’s policies on absence management and ensures return to work interviews and reviews are completed in accordance with the policy; ensures the implementation of other policies for staff (e.g. harassment, disciplinary).
- Be aware of any sensitive information held by your service and ensures adherence to the General Data Protection Regulation legislation 2018.
- To be fully aware of and understand the duties and responsibilities arising from the Children Act 2004, the London Child Protection Procedures and Working Together in relation to child protection and safeguarding children and young people as this applies to your role. To also be fully aware of the principles of safeguarding as they apply to vulnerable adults in relation to your work role. To ensure that your line manager is made aware and kept fully informed of any concerns which you may have in relation to safeguarding and/or child protection.
- Undertake other duties appropriate to the grade as required by the Head of Service.
- Proven experience of working within bereavement services in a cemetery environment.
- A background in managing and supervising staff within bereavement services demonstrating excellent organisational skills with the ability to delegate, manage and motivate staff to work in a team environment.
- Proven experience relating to statutory and non-statutory bereavement documentation.
- Proficient in the use of word, excel, outlook and bespoke software systems including BACAS effectively and efficiently to support and deliver tasks as required.
- Experience in liaising with the general public in a similar environment
- Holds a bereavement management qualification, and/or is prepared to study for the Institute of Cemetery and Crematorium Management (ICCM) Certificate and Diploma in cemetery/crematorium management.
- Ability to deal with the public under, at times, stressful and emotive situations and to maintain a polite, sympathetic manner whilst providing excellent customer service.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of customers and key stakeholders including funeral directors, religious leaders, the public, staff, contractors and other individuals and organisations.
- To be prepared to work additional hours, as required, meeting the needs of the service including weekend out of hours phone duty and weekend burial duties based upon one weekend in three shared with other members of the team.
- A general understanding of safeguarding vulnerable adults and young people and a willingness to attend/complete training as required.
- The ability to deal effectively with people from different cultural and ethnic backgrounds and to commit to implement the company’s equal opportunity policy.
- Holds a valid full driving licence and own transport for use on company business.
- 25 Days Annual Leave
- Flexible Working
- Pension Scheme
- Eyecare Vouchers
- Free Gym membership
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Weekly fruit basket
- Staff Treats
- Weekly Wellbeing Hour
- And more!