Senior Health & Wellbeing Coach
Location: Battersea Park
Contract Type: Full Time – 40 Hours per week (Fixed Term, 12 months)
Closing date: 18 April 2021
As a Senior Health and Wellbeing Coach, you will help people develop the knowledge, skills, and confidence to manage their own health and wellbeing. You will also be responsible for line managing and providing supervision to other Health & Wellbeing Coaches.
Health and Wellbeing Coaches will use health coaching, motivational interviewing and behaviour change skills to empower people to make positive lifestyle changes. The role will take a holistic approach that helps increases people’s ability to access community support and self-management education. Senior Health & Wellbeing Coaches will support the development of the service and other team members, in addition to delivering support to clients.
The successful candidate will join our Enable Personalised Care Team which has experience of delivering community support across Wandsworth. Health and Wellbeing Coaches will work alongside Social Prescribing Link Workers to provide a joined-up approach and maximise patient experience. The role will support Battersea Primary Care Network and work closely with GP’s and other healthcare professionals, contributing to the NHS commitment to personalised care.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our growing team and be part of an innovative personalised care model. Enable Health & Wellbeing Coaches will be excellent communicators, passionate about personalised care and dedicated to reducing health inequalities in the local area.
We are unable to provide sponsorship for this post. In order to apply for this post, you must demonstrate your eligibility to work in the UK.
Diversity is valued at Enable Leisure and Culture and is important in the work that we do. Applications from all sections of the community are welcome and will be considered on merit. Should you have a disability and require any additional support or if you have any questions regarding the above role, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to Covid-19 and until further notice, we are currently operating digital recruitment and on-boarding processes. The role is full time and based primarily in the Parks Office in Battersea Park. During the pandemic, this role will be based mainly from home with the option to come to the office a few days a week.
- Provide line management and supervision to Health & Wellbeing Coaches.
- Provide personalised health coaching and deliver one to one appointments to people with long term health conditions.
- Use health coaching and motivational interviewing skills to support behaviour change.
- Develop strong working relationships with other health and social care professionals to promote and develop the service.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct one to one supervision meetings with direct reports to identify support needs, safeguard their personal wellbeing and encourage learning and development.
- Monitor the performance of direct reports, ensuring that all duties are completed to a high standard and that clients are receiving quality support.
- Identify and mitigate any risks within the services and ensure all policies and procedures are followed by team members.
- Enable team members to achieve success by providing motivation, encouragement and expertise to support development.
- Plan and lead team meetings.
Person-centred care and support
- Deliver effective health coaching sessions using a holistic and person-centred approach that helps people focus on what matters to them.
- Empower people to take control of their own wellbeing by building their confidence, motivating them to set goals and creating personalised action plans.
- Support people to overcome their personal barriers to make positive lifestyle changes.
- Provide ongoing motivational support and follow up to ensure long term behaviour changes.
- Support people to access appropriate community support and self-management education.
- Treat everyone with dignity, and respect for different cultures, religions, ways of life and other personal characteristics at all times.
Communication and Collaboration
- Build strong relationships and maintain regular contact with Primary Care Network Clinical Directors, sharing success, providing updates, gaining feedback and working together to solve issues.
- Develop supportive relationships and work in partnership with community organisations to allow safe and effective onward referrals.
- Work alongside Social Prescribing Link Workers and other Primary Care professionals to provide joined–up personalised care and develop the service model.
- Engage with and regularly present to a variety of audiences, acting as a champion of personalised care and health coaching, increasing awareness and promoting its benefits.
Service Quality and Development
- Collect and record outcome, monitoring and impact data using required systems, contributing to the evaluation of the service.
- Manage own caseload to ensure clients receive appropriate levels of support and expectations are met.
- Gather client feedback to evaluate the quality of the service and to inform service changes and developments.
- Keep up to date with key changes in the health and social care sector in order to shape and develop the service, including those relating to good practice and policy.
- Lead by example by demonstrating excellent customer service, delivery skills, organisation and professionalism.
- Work with your line manager to identify your own support needs and undertake continual personal and professional development.
- To comply with all of Enable Leisure and Culture Codes of practice and conduct, including policies and procedures concerning data protection, health and safety and safeguarding.
- To be committed to the promotion of equality, diversity and inclusion for others, both colleagues and clients.
- To create and maintain a safe, supportive and welcoming environment where all people are treated with dignity and their identity and culture are valued and respected. Report any instances of inappropriate behaviour or discrimination.
- Ensure data is kept securely in line with data protection law and Enable LC’s procedures.
- To be fully aware of the principles of safeguarding as they apply to children and vulnerable adults in relation to your work role. Always follow safeguarding procedures and ensure that your line manager is kept fully informed of any safeguarding concerns.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities that contribute to the overall function of the team, appropriate with the grading of the post.
- To apply a flexible approach to working in different environments including from home, GP practices, healthcare settings, community venues and Enable offices.
- To travel inside or outside the borough when required.
- At least 4 years experience in a role that involves delivering face to face support in a related environment.
- Experience adopting a person-centred approach and empowering people to make informed choices.
- Experience in managing and leading a team (desirable) and experience supporting the development of others.
- Experience in supporting people with long term health conditions to make lifestyle changes.
- Motivational interviewing, behaviour change, or health coaching qualification and experience.
- Knowledge of the wider determinants of health, including social, economic and environmental factors.
- Understanding of personalisation, health coaching and the skills required to support self-care.
- Understanding of the NHS Long Term Plan and Personalised Care on a national and local level.
- Knowledge of the lifestyle behaviours impact on health and long-term conditions.
- An understanding of the principles of confidentiality and how these apply when handling service-user information.
- Good ability to use Microsoft Office (including Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint) and other online client monitoring systems or tools as required.
- Ability to use coaching skill to support and motivate people with a wide range of health and wellbeing needs.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to listen actively and build excellent rapport with people from all backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written; able to communicate in a meaningful way and develop effective relationships with a range of stakeholders.
- Excellent organisation, planning and time management skills.
- Leadership skills with the ability to drive change and inspire action.
- Public speaking skills and ability to present to a variety of audiences.
- Proactive, dynamic and able to use initiative to solve issues and implements improvements.
- Ability to motivate team members, manage the performance of others and promote high standards.
- Able to collect, monitor and analyse data accurately, producing KPIs and evaluation reports.
- Able to work effectively with others in an open and collaborative way, valuing differences and contributing to a working environment that helps to achieve goals.
- Able to work unsupervised to meet agreed outcomes, targets and deadlines.
- Ability to identify, assess and manage risk, ensuring that you and team members follow all policies and procedures.
- Able to demonstrate personal accountability, emotional resilience and ability to work well under pressure.
- Commitment to working in deprived communities and reducing health inequalities.
- Commitment to valuing equality and diversity and understanding of how this applies to their own area of work.
- Commitment to own professional and personal development and willingness to undertake training and development as appropriate to the role.
- Able to work flexible hours if required by the post and able to work in various settings.
- Able to commute to various service locations across the borough as required.
- 25 Days Annual Leave
- Flexible Working
- Pension Scheme
- Eyecare Vouchers
- Free Gym membership
- On-site shower facilities
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Weekly fruit basket
- Staff Treats
- Weekly Wellbeing Hour
- And more!