Sport & Physical Activity Officer
Do you want to work for an organisation whose aim is to enrich lives and strengthen communities? If so, Enable Leisure and Culture is recruiting for: Sport & Physical Activity Officer to support our Leisure Team
Location: Battersea Park
Contract Type: Full Time (40 Hours per week)
Salary: £28,425 (ENSc5)
Closing date: 25 April 2021
We are looking for enthusiastic and driven people to join our team and engage with the community to provide physical activity opportunities and work together to create volunteering, training and mentoring programmes.
Based predominately in the Enable Leisure & Sport office in Battersea Park but working across Wandsworth this post will be the lead on a number of Sports Development programmes in Wandsworth. The role will focus on developing community social inclusion programmes, especially for young people that create participation and workforce opportunities. You will be working on targeted participation programmes working within community organisations. You will need to have experience in developing and delivering community programmes and working with key partners to deliver and monitor local projects. You should be organized and be able to develop and grow programmes, building key relationships and partnerships that work collaboratively, which will be key to sustain and extend provision.
Why should you join Enable Leisure and Culture?
- 25 Days Annual Leave
- Flexible Working
- Pension Scheme
- Eyecare Vouchers
- Free Gym membership
- On-site shower facilities* certain places
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Weekly fruit basket
- Staff Treats
- Weekly Wellbeing Hour
We are unable to provide sponsorship for this post. In order to apply for this post, you must demonstrate your eligibility to work in the UK.
Diversity is valued at Enable Leisure and Culture and is important in the work that we do. Applications from all sections of the community are welcome and will be considered on merit. Should you have a disability and require any additional support or if you have any questions regarding the above role, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to Covid-19 and until further notice, we are currently operating digital recruitment and on-boarding processes. During the pandemic, this role will be based mainly from home with the option to come to the office a few days a week.
Follow us on Linked In for job updates
- To develop and manage a programme of activities in targeted parts of Wandsworth, co-ordinating suitable diversionary and social inclusion programmes that provide participation and workforce opportunities, with a particular focus on young people.
- To develop mentoring, volunteering and training opportunities for local residents to access with routes into further training and employment.
- To work closely with key community organisations to help co-design programmes that encourage local engagement, support local need and embed a sustainable approach.
- Work with relevant partners (e.g. local authority teams, young people’s groups, land-owners) to increase the number of urban spaces where sport and physical activity is permitted and can embraced safely.
- Recruit, deploy and monitor the delivery of qualified coaches, volunteers and instructors, including young people. Monitor delivery and development of programmes and administer financial invoices and timesheets on a regular basis.
- To work closely with Enable’s fundraising team to consult, and design funding applications to deliver key projects with local partners.
- Use social media and other appropriate communications channels to promote and demonstrate opportunities and the positive impact they have on local communities.
- Be responsible for the budget, monitoring expenditure and income. Provide regular financial reports on all programmes.
- Provide monthly performance figures and regular reports ensuring regular communication to share good examples and lessons learnt.
- Responsible for collection, collation and analysis of data. Take responsibility for measurement and evaluation of all project activities and engagement programmes providing the required information internally and to partners.
- Assist in the coordination of the Get Active Wandsworth Festival and Active Wandsworth Awards
- Support Wandsworth’s entry in the London Youth Games, taking lead on selected sports and developing a trial and training programme to support team’s participation in the event.
Generic Duties and Responsibilities
- Keep up to date with health, fitness, and physical activity industry knowledge, developments, and local information and community networks.
- To comply with all of Enable Leisure and Culture Codes of practice, including the code of conduct, and policies and procedures concerning data protection and health and safety.
- Lead by example by demonstrating excellent customer service, delivery skills, organisation and professionalism.
- To be committed to the promotion of equality, diversity and inclusion for others, both colleagues and clients; to work to create and maintain a safe, supportive and welcoming environment where all people are treated with dignity and their identity and culture are valued and respected and to report any instances of inappropriate behaviour or discrimination.
- To be fully aware of the principles of safeguarding as they apply to children and vulnerable adults in relation to your work role. To ensure that your line manager is made aware and kept fully informed of any concerns which you may have in relation to safeguarding.
- Required to regularly travel inside and outside of the borough either by driving cycling or using public transport. Required to drive Enable’s vehicles both in and outside the borough when appropriate.
|1. Understanding and insight of community development and youth engagement
2. Understanding and insight of the sport and physical activity sector
3. Sound knowledge of the local area/ demographics and local organisations
|4. Experience of developing and delivering targeted activity projects and increasing participation in community activities.
5. Experience of engaging with community organisations, especially with young people to co-design and develop programmes.
6. Experience of designing and co-ordinating mentoring, skills hubs and training courses with links to employment or volunteering opportunities
7. Experience of working with people of all levels including coaches, volunteers, community leaders and delivery partners creating and maintaining productive partnerships and relationships
8. Experience of running events including recruiting staff and ensuring health and safety requirements such as risk assessments are completed.
9. Experience of recruiting, deploying and managing coaches, instructors, volunteers and young people
10. Experience of successfully applying for external funding to support the ongoing running of activities.
11. Lived experience of day to day life in London
|12. Project Management skills –Ability to manage projects from design, delivery and including monitoring and evaluating progress and putting in place strategies to demonstrate learning and initiate improvements.
13. You have an affinity with young people and can influence through conversation and writing, including utilising social media. (engagement skills)
14. You can persuade and influence key project stakeholders e.g. young people’s groups, delivery organisations, policy makers and local decision makers.
15. Good communication skills – communicate effectively at various levels from community to senior leaders and funding bodies. Work with people with empathy and support
16. You are people focused and seek to bring about change through empowering communities. (community development)
17. Budget management skills – ability to manage budgets effectively.
18. Confident, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
19. IT literate especially Microsoft Office, use of e mail / internet and data reporting systems .
20. Ability to successfully promote and publicise programmes including the use of social media, creating web content and press releases.
|21. Degree or equivalent qualification on sport/physical activity.
22. Qualifications of youth work and community engagement.
|23. Able to work outside of normal office hours including evenings and weekends.
24. A proven ability to work safely and effectively with minimal supervision
25. Able to work unsupervised to agreed outcome, meeting deadlines and within a targeted work environment.
26. Full clean driving licence