Cemetery re-opening information
Coronavirus. Updated 27 April at 10:00
Access to Putney Vale and Battersea New (Morden) Cemeteries
Putney Vale and Battersea New (Morden) cemetery have re-opened for grieving families to visit their loved one’s graves or the gardens of remembrance. Other visitors are not permitted, and the grounds must not be used for daily exercise.
During this time please note that families are only permitted to visit the cemeteries during the hours of 10am and 4pm including weekends and bank holidays (last admittance 3:30pm) to allow us to safely prepare for and conduct funeral services.
Our grounds contractor and gardeners are currently maintaining the grounds with minimal resources due to the current situation. Some areas of the cemetery may have long grass so please take care when visiting. Over time we will ensure that the normal expected level of maintenance will resume, and we thank you for your understanding at this time.
The following limitations are in place until further notice.
- The cemeteries are only open for families to visit graves or the gardens of remembrance
- Crematorium buildings (including the toilets) are closed until further notice
- Please only visit during the above times. You will not be given access outside of these times
- At Putney Vale the gates at East and West lodges will remain closed so there is no thoroughfare. Vehicle and pedestrian access are via the main gates off Stagg Lane
- At Battersea New (Morden) cemetery the rear gate will remain closed so there is no thoroughfare. pedestrian access is via the main gates
- Cycles, skates or the like or any sporting activities including daily exercise is not permitted
- Picnics or the consumption of alcohol or use the of drugs is not permitted
- No more than five persons (who must live in the same household) are permitted in a group
- Do not arrange to or meet with friends or family in the grounds. Please note that the Police will be called to disperse gatherings
Planning your visit.
- You should not make a long journey to visit
- You should only visit if you really feel the need to
- You must not visit if you are unwell, vulnerable or self-isolating
- Your visit should be brief
- Toilets are closed to the public
- Some car parking restrictions will be in place Monday – Friday (particularly at Putney Vale)
- Please do not approach staff, grave diggers or grounds people. Please let them carry out their work in safety. Please contact the office with any enquiry
Normal cemetery regulations continue to apply and must be adhered to and the above re-opening and restrictions will be monitored and reviewed over the coming weeks.
As you are aware, we are in unprecedented times, and therefore have had to make necessary changes to our facilities to ensure that we follow Government guidance on limiting the spread of Coronavirus.
We are taking the necessary steps to keep our communities safe.
We thank you for your understanding at these difficult times and wish everybody well.