Macmillan Community Project – Wandsworth
Enable Leisure and Culture and Macmillan Cancer support are delivering a project aimed at improving the holistic support available to those living with and beyond cancer in Wandsworth.
We aim to improve the awareness of, access to, and uptake of services available to those living with and beyond cancer, whilst ensuring that holistic support is offered locally at key points in the cancer pathway.
We will achieve this through the following key activities:
- Implementation of the role of Macmillan Community Cancer Link Worker – Wandsworth.
- Learning and Development for Social Prescribing Link Workers so that they feel more confident, knowledgeable and able to support people living with and beyond cancer and their carers.
- Enhancing the coordination and communication between primary care, secondary care and Voluntary & Community Sector Organisations who support those living with and beyond cancer in Wandsworth, and their carers.
- Improving the awareness and knowledge held by Primary and Secondary Care professionals of the non-clinical support available to those living with and beyond cancer in Wandsworth, and how this support can be accessed.
- Developing a community of cancer champions who are able to advocate for patients living with and beyond cancer in Wandsworth, working together to improve patient experience by sharing good practice, be a conduit to the dissemination of key information to both professionals and patients, and addressing any barriers to this.
Macmillan Community Cancer Link Worker – Wandsworth
Our Macmillan Community Cancer Link Worker is part of our wider social prescribing team in Wandsworth. They have specialist knowledge, skills and experience relevant to supporting those living with and beyond cancer, including having relationships with key professionals in Primary and Secondary Care, as well as with local and national Voluntary & Community Sector Organisations.
How can the Macmillan Community Cancer Link Worker help?
If you are aged 18+, registered at a GP practice in Wandsworth, and living with and beyond cancer (or their carer), the Macmillan Community Cancer Link Worker can provide the following non-clinical support:
- A listening ear, helping to address any worries or concerns you may have; they can help you to access physical, emotional, practical, financial and spiritual support.
- Free, practical, written information to help you with the issues you may face both during and after cancer treatment.
- Signposting or referral to other local and national services – including courses, psychological support, complementary therapy, welfare benefits advice, and support groups.
- Information about what you are entitled to receive as a person living with and beyond cancer, such as: Holistic Needs Assessments, access to a Clinical Nurse Specialist, and a Cancer Care Review.
How can the service be accessed?
This specialist support can be accessed via the Social Prescribing Link Worker at your GP Practice – please ask your practice for more information.
When should the service be accessed?
Patients can benefit from the support of the Macmillan Community Cancer Link Worker at various stages in their cancer pathway, for example: at diagnosis; at the end of treatment, or when concerns are identified following a Cancer Care Review with the GP or Practice Nurse.
Get in touch
For more information about the project, please contact:
Claire Simpson, Macmillan Project Manager – Wandsworth