CORONAVIRUS CRITICAL UPDATE (22 May 2020)
Please visit our News page for full updates.
Dear Wandsworth residents,
I am writing on behalf of the Parks Team, Parks Police, Tree and Horticultural contractors in Wandsworth who have been working to maintain greenspaces for you to use during the lockdown period.
Our principle aim during the COVID-19 pandemic has been to ensure that greenspaces remain accessible to as many people as possible. Since lockdown began they have been in exceptionally high demand. My colleagues and I, like all of you, have needed to react to changing rules and guidelines and the behaviours these have encouraged (like increased use for daily exercise) in order to maintain and manage our them safely for you.
It has been hard work but most visitors who come to greenspaces have followed the advice and played an important part in helping, but we are not finished yet.
We are all being challenged to think differently about how we behave. We urge you to continue to be alert and sensible, looking out for information, listening to advice and respecting other users who may feel vulnerable. With the increased warm weather comes an even greater numbers of visitors to enjoy our greenspaces and the increased temptation to ignore the guidelines and restrictions that are in place to maintain your safety.
The most recent advice from the Prime Minister on Sunday 10th May 2020 updated guidelines and issued a request to ‘Stay Alert’. Certain changes have been made to the guidance but there are still rules that must be observed if we are to be able to keep our greenspaces open to all. Overall our message remains the same.
- Social distancing rules remain. You must keep 2m space between yourselves and others while in the park.
- For those who enjoy jogging and cycling please be prepared to stop and wait for others, respect people you pass, allow plenty of space and do not speed.
- Please take all your litter home.
- If you bring a dog to the park please keep them on a lead. This ensures that dogs do not run off, affecting other people’s use of the space, and requiring you to break social distancing guidelines to retrieve them
- The impact of Covid-19 on the facilities within parks has been significant too. As I write, playgrounds, outdoor gyms and toilets remain closed. You must plan for this before you visit.
We are fortunate in Wandsworth to have such an expanse and variety of quality outdoor green space to enjoy. My colleagues and I fully understand how valuable this space is for your wellbeing, exercise and the opportunity to connect with nature. Please continue to be part of this combined effort so that parks and open spaces can remain enjoyable and safe for all to visit.
Head of Parks – Enable Leisure and Culture
CORONAVIRUS CRITICAL UPDATE (3 April 2020)
Playgrounds/outdoor gyms/toilets and all other facilities in this park are closed. Do NOT enter these areas.
The park remains open but you must comply with social distancing. Remain two metres away from others at all times.
Dogs must be kept on leads and under control at all times.
People visiting Wandsworth’s parks, commons and other outdoor spaces are being urgently reminded of the vital need to follow the latest medical advice on social distancing. The Government’s scientific and medical advisors have stressed the crucial importance of keeping a two metre gap between people in order to prevent any further spread of Coronavirus.
Many people are ignoring this advice and putting themselves and their family and friends at greater risk of contracting the disease. Parks are safe places and play an important role in keeping people physically and mentally well – now so more than ever.
There are therefore no current plans to close the borough’s parks and commons and they remain open for residents to take exercise and walk through. People should not however congregate in groups and they must observe the Government guidance on social distancing.
Anyone with symptoms of Covid 19 should not enter parks and any resident that is self-isolating should also not visit.
Welcome to Wandsworth’s parks pages!
Wandsworth’s parks team:
- manage and develop Wandsworth Council’s parks, commons, playgrounds and allotments
- process all enquires relating to Wandsworth’s public green spaces
- monitor the grounds maintenance, sports pitch bookings and arboriculture contracts on behalf of Wandsworth Council
- advise Wandsworth Council on its responsibilities with respect to legislation relating to biodiversity and advise on best practice in the ecological maintenance of parks
Meet the companies helping to look after Wandsworth’s greenspaces
Wandsworth Council, in partnership with Enable Leisure and Culture, work with several contractors to ensure that Wandsworth’s parks and commons are well looked after.
idverde runs two contracts: grounds maintenance and grass pitch bookings:
City Suburban (CSTS) runs the arboricultural (trees) contract:
Wandsworth Council’s greenspaces are managed in partnership with Enable Leisure and Culture