Have your say
Please let us know your general views about your local park to keep us up to date and informed about what you like and what we can improve by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
Current Consultations and Information Sharing
The project below has now been completed. We are keeping Lavender Gardens shut in accordance with Government guidance on playgrounds as social distancing is not possible here whilst the playground remains shut. We will reopen this refurbished space fully as soon as we are able to.
On behalf of Wandsworth Council, Enable Leisure and Culture has secured £128,000 from Wandsworth Borough Council’s Local Fund to pay for access improvements to Lavender Gardens in the near future. These funds will go towards:
• Replacement of the steps from Asda supermarket into the Gardens with a gentle sloping footpath making access easier and more accessible
• Refurbishment of the Dorothy Road entrance
• Relocation of the children’s playground gate closer to Dorothy Road
• New native planting
• No change to playground area
We estimate works will take place in 2019 during which time Lavender Gardens will be partially closed. Signs will be erected to offer alternative routes to pedestrians travelling between Dorothy Road and Asda whilst works are taking place.
Wandsworth Council want to hear your views about the plans for the management of Fishponds Playing Fields and which improved facilities you would like to see at the site.
The council carried out an initial consultation in October 2018 to help us understand whether you visited the playing fields, what activities you took part in, and your views on a proposal to provide natural play equipment on the site.
We found from the consultation that:
• 43% of those who responded had never visited the playing fields before
• 89% agreed with the proposal to give public access to the playing fields when the site is in use
• 88% agreed with the proposal to provide natural play equipment for local families to use on the playing fields
The council has been approached to consider seeking a partner to manage Fishponds Playing Fields on a long-term lease arrangement. Investment from this arrangement will help to improve the changing rooms and sports pitches and enhance access to the site, which will include the neighbourhood open space. We want to hear your views about which improved facilities you would like to see at the site. This will inform the next stage of the process, where we will invite groups to bid to maintain and manage the playing fields and to propose any upgrading of the site’s facilities.
We would ensure:
• Existing users are protected for the length of the contract
• Priority of use is allocated for the outdoor playing pitches
• Sporting activities continue to include cricket, football and school use
• Greater community use and access to the facility
The results of this consultation will help to inform the community and social aspects of the next stage of the process, where we will invite groups to bid to maintain and manage the playing fields.
Please note, we are unable to consider opening the playing fields to dogs due to a dog control order in place at this site.
Current arrangements for use of Fishponds Playing Fields
The site is a self-contained sport and playing field venue, currently managed by the council’s ground maintenance contractor, idverde who manages pitch bookings. There are grass fields for summer and winter sports and changing room facilities. Following the consultation in October 2018, there is new children’s play equipment and open access to the community throughout the summer months to enjoy this neighbourhood open space, however currently this is only accessible when the site is booked.
Hours of operation
• Monday to Sunday 8am to dusk
Neighbourhood open space:
• Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 7am to 3pm
• Wednesday: 7am to 11am
• Saturday and Sunday: 9am to 4pm
What facilities are currently available at Fishponds Playing Fields?
Fishponds Playing Fields currently consists of:
• Two full size football pitches (hired by local football clubs throughout the winter sports season)
• One cricket square which includes a new artificial cricket wicket (available in the summer)
• A changing pavilion with toilets and two/four changing rooms
• Groundsman storage huts and a yard
• A small natural playground for use by the community
Schools use the above facilities and training areas for a range of school sport and PE, including use for
sports days in the summer. Occasionally the site has been used for one-off large community events.
Previously the fields have had a junior football pitch and a junior rugby pitch used by local
schools/clubs, however this is no longer required.
Have your say
The consultation will go live on Friday 25 October 2019.
You can access the online survey at: https://haveyoursay.citizenspace.com/wandsworthecs/fishponds-playing-fields-19
If you would like a paper copy, please contact us at email@example.com or call 0203 959 0060
Please be advised that the consultation closes on Friday 6 December 2019.
Fishponds Playing Fields Onsite Consultation Events
We are holding two drop-in sessions at Fishponds Playing Fields, 91/93 Hebdon Road, SW17 7NW,
where you can ask us any questions you might have about the consultation:
• Sunday 3 November 2019, 9am to 12pm
• Monday 4 November 2019, 3pm to 5.30pm
For updates follow us on Twitter @wandbc
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org