Please visit https://wandsworth.gov.uk/the-council/have-your-say/consultations/ to view top-line results form all previous consultations.
The improvement works at Fred Wells Gardens were started on June 29 2020 and complete in September 2020.
Below is a summary of the results of the consultation that was held prior to the works:
Fred Wells Gardens Improvements Consultation 2019
Closed 24 Mar 2019
Opened 28 Jan 2019
Results Updated 4 Aug 2020
Summary of Results
Thank you to all those who took part in the consultation. We received 92 responses, 94% of which were from local residents. The feedback provided us with lots of useful information about what you would like to see addressed in the park.
Group A Works
- Junior playground: remove retaining wall and replace with safer alternative that maximises play spaces and blends in with surroundings
- Junior playground: refurbish benches
Toddler playground: replace grass banks and red safety surface with a robust safety surface that is less slippery when wet
- Mound across from junior playground: drop height of planter bed by around 500mm and move it 1-2 metres north in place of the footpath which will be closed. This will enable ramp and stairs to be rebuilt with a more gradual incline allowing easier access for the mobility impaired
The majority of respondents were in favour of group A works, which are deemed essential to the ongoing safety and/or maintenance of the park. Some suggestions were put forward about how best to implement these works and they will be considered during the feasibility/design stage.
Group B Works
In terms of what you thought should be given highest priority out of the Group B work, the most popular areas of work you wanted us to focus on are as follows (1 being the highest priority and 5 being the lowest):
- Tennis court: resurface tennis court and install tree root barrier to protect new court
- Toddler playground: replace with robust new play surface which meets the most recent safety standards
- Junior playground: replace play surface with robust new surface which meets the most recent safety standards
- Toddler playground: replace climbing frame with suitable alternative that stimulates young children and develops coordination and problem solving
- Toddler playground: replace ageing small play units with new play equipment that develops interpersonal skills, creativity, imagination, problem solving and coordination
Responses to group B works showed strong support for resurfacing the tennis court surface and installing a root barrier, which will be put forward as a top priority for action. Replacing the toddler and junior playground surfaces will also be recommended for refurbishment. Given these works are likely to be expensive we will only be able to consider other works if sufficient budget remains. While efforts will be made to tackle as many group B issues as possible, it may not be possible to tackle all of the issues at this stage.
After careful consideration of all feedback, the decision was made to proceed with the following improvements:
- Resurfacing tennis court to provide suitable sports surface. Tree root barrier to protect tennis court surface
- New and relocated play equipment including a new toddler play unit. Both sets of swings refurbished too
- New scramble net, pull up rope and timber walk on playground slope
- New safety surface across the whole playground including wet pour under swings, artificial grass and bonded mulch on sloped areas
- New timber cladding and planting to retaining walls in playground. New climbing play wall incorporated
- Widening and landscaping of access points to allow for inclusive access and easy travel through the Gardens
- Resurfacing of worn paths and raising of path levels to deal with tree root heave
- New bins and furniture
- New plants and bulbs in landscaped areas and within playground (to be completed autumn 2020 during the planting season
Work completed: 4 July 2020
This project has improved the access through Lavender Gardens to the Asda supermarket. As well as inclusive access, improvements have been made to the planting and playground. The playground railings have been remodelled to make the area more welcoming and the safety surfacing has also been improved. Lavender Gardens now also has smart welcoming entrances.
- Replacement of the steps from Asda supermarket into the Gardens with a gentle sloping footpath making access easier and more accessible
- Refurbishment of the Dorothy Road entrance
- Relocation of the children’s playground gate closer to Dorothy Road
- New native planting
Lavender Gardens is now open to enjoy, please be responsible when using this space. For full government guidance please visit our About Us page.
Phase 1 Consultation: 2015
Phase 2 Consultation: Jan/Feb 2019
Works completed: 21 November 2019
Opening Ceremony: March 12 2020
The northern end of Falcon Park has had received a major facelift removing a large area of hardstanding and imposing railings dividing the park and making the space unwelcoming. The landscaping and planting have created a greener park with new trees and planting. There is also new play equipment for children to enjoy and furniture to take a rest. A new gravel path connects to the north to south path toward the sports centre. Native hedging has been planted and a wildflower meadow and bulbs has also been included to add habitat for wildlife.
Phase 1 Consultation: August/September 2018
Phase 2 Consultation: July/August 2019
Playground works completed: 19 December 2020
This busy local playground had a complete refurbishment. Old tired equipment and surfacing was removed. The playground now boasts a wide range of exciting timber equipment for children of all ages. The playground now blends into the surroundings and has an overall theme. There is also interaction with the surrounding trees and plants with a woodland trail included.
Phase 1 Consultation: June/July 2018
Furzedown Recreation Ground Pavilion Refurbishments Updates
Furzedown Recreation Ground Pavilion is now available to rent out. Please contact the Events Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
Refurbished Mound Slide
Following consultation it was decided to make safe the popular mound slide with new surfacing. Work was completed in January 2020. Bonded mulch surfacing makes it possible to run all over the mound and the natural colour blends into the surrounding grass and trees.