During these uncertain times it may be difficult to find funding for sports and coach clubs. Please find the relief funding document here, explaining how different organisations may be able to help you.
The Enable Sports Development team offer a wide range of support for sports clubs, community groups, coaches and talented athletes. Clubs can gain support, development and funding advice for new programmes. An annual coach education programme helps to support coach own development through professional courses and funding support while young aspiring athletes are supported through the FANS scheme as well as Active Wandsworth’s grant programme.
We work with a wide range of sports clubs, organisations, coaches, volunteers, community groups and facilities to deliver sports in Wandsworth. We can help your club or organisation with:
- management and meetings
- membership policy – including dealing with junior members
- creating an equality statement and putting it into place
- ensuring that your members are familiar with minimum standards expected of participation and play
- procedures to ensure that children, young people and vulnerable adults participate in your club’s activities without risk.
- health and safety issues including duty of care
- ethics in sport – covering all aspects of fair and equitable conduct in the management and running of sport.
- sports club accreditation
If your club is working toward offering a high quality, welcoming environment for young participants, you may wish to apply to become Clubmark accredited. We can support clubs through the accreditation process. Sign up to Clubmark. If your governing body has its own accreditation scheme e.g. Swim 21, FA Charter, please contact the organisation direct for further information.
What is FANS?
FANS stands for Free Access for National Sports people.
The FANS scheme provides sports people who compete at a national level or equivalent with free access to sports facilities in Wandsworth. The scheme aims to help elite athletes achieve their full potential by reducing the financial burden of training costs.
Members are invited from sporting disciplines recognised by Sport England.
Twelve Wandsworth sports facilities are involved in the scheme. They include:
- leisure and recreation centres
- swimming pools
- athletics tracks
- tennis courts
- other specialist indoor and outdoor facilities.
If you have any queries about the scheme or wish to discuss your application, phone 0203 959 0030 or email email@example.com
FANS aims to help all of Wandsworth’s elite sports people who compete at a national level. To be eligible for the scheme you must demonstrate that you are:
- a current national sportsperson (‘national’ is deemed as either a member of the national team or ranked in the top ten);
- a resident for the majority of the year in Wandsworth.
Supporting evidence from your governing body will be required upon application (e.g. a letter inviting you to a competition, or competition results etc.) and proof of your address in Wandsworth.
How FANS works
Members of FANS are entitled to use the facilities at the centres participating in the scheme. You can find a list of participating centres in the Enable Leisure and Sport FANS Scheme application form.
You only need to list one leisure centre and one Enable LC sport services facility to gain access to all of them, but you need to nominate your ‘home’ venue. Each FANS centre varies in what it offers members and some impose restrictions on facilities and on times they can be used free of charge. You will be issued with an identity card which you will need to show each time you visit a centre.
Facilities must be used in accordance with the centre’s FANS conditions. Centres cannot be used outside their opening hours and your training should not incur any extra cost to the centre (for example, the cost of floodlighting).
In return for benefits of FANS membership, the council and participating facilities can use the scheme as a promotional tool and members are asked to assist in promotional events whenever possible and appropriate.
Your FANS membership is renewable after one year, providing you are still competing at a national level.
How to apply
If you are interested in becoming a FANS (Free Access for National Sports people) member or renewing your membership, please complete the following form FANS scheme application form and send to the below address.
- Two passport sized photographs
- Recent supporting evidence from your governing body to confirm your current involvement in sport at a national level
- Proof of your address in Wandsworth.
Please make cheques payable to ‘Enable Leisure and Culture’ or you can pay by card by submitting your details on the application form.
Enable Leisure & Sport Services
The Staff Yard